Three Healthy Game Day Recipes Featuring Jennie-O
When you think of game day food, the first thing that comes to mind is likely not “healthy.” However, with the help of Jennie-O, you can create delicious, fun, and healthy game day snacks that everyone will love. In this article, we’ll share three mouth-watering recipes that you’ll be proud to serve on game day.
Recipe 1: Mini Turkey Meatballs
The first recipe on our list is Mini Turkey Meatballs, made with lean ground turkey from Jennie-O. This easy-to-make recipe is not only tasty but also healthy, perfect for those who want to enjoy game day without feeling guilty.
- 1 (20-ounce) package JENNIE-O® Lean Ground Turkey
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup dried breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 26 ounces tomato marinara sauce
- In a large bowl, combine the turkey, onion, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, ketchup, parsley, cheese, and pepper. Shape the mixture into 1 ¼-inch diameter meatballs. In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the meatballs for 14 to 16 minutes, turning occasionally. Always cook to well-done, 165°F. as measured by a meat thermometer.
- Add the marinara sauce. Stir to coat the meatballs. Turn the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly and the flavors blend well.
Recipe 2: Turkey Butter Sliders
Next up is the Turkey Butter Sliders. These bite-sized burgers are made with lean ground turkey, topped with caramelized onions and melted cheese, and served on soft slider buns. They’re a healthier alternative to traditional beef sliders and are sure to be a hit on game day.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup water
- 1 (20-ounce) package JENNIE-O® Lean Ground Turkey
- 6 slices American cheese, quartered
- 12 soft slider buns, split and toasted
- lettuce leaves
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat; add onions. Cook for 10 minutes or until the onions are golden brown. Add water, cover, and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the onions are very soft, stirring occasionally.
- Divide the ground turkey into 12 equal balls. Press 1 teaspoon butter into each ball and shape into patties. Cook in a large skillet over medium-high heat for 8 minutes, turning twice, and ensuring the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Top each patty with two cheese pieces.
- Assemble the sliders by placing lettuce on the bottom half of the buns. Top with the onion mixture and patties; replace the bun tops.
Recipe 3: Cheesy Turkey Frank Wraps
Last but not least, we have the Cheesy Turkey Frank Wraps. Made with Jennie-O Turkey Franks and wrapped in pizza dough, these are a fun and healthier alternative to traditional hot dogs.
- 1 (6-ounce) portion refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 ½ ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (12-ounce) package JENNIE-O® Turkey Franks
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon barbeque sauce
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- Preheat your oven to 425°F. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 12 x 4-inch rectangle. Cut the rectangle into 4 smaller rectangles, then cut each rectangle diagonally to form 8 triangles. Divide the cheese evenly among the triangles.
- Place a turkey frank at the wide end of each triangle and roll up. Arrange the rolls on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden.
- In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, barbeque sauce, and mustard. Serve with the rolls.
These three recipes prove that game day food can be both delicious and healthy. With the help of Jennie-O, you can create a game day menu that satisfies everyone’s cravings, while also keeping things light and wholesome. So, give these recipes a try on your next game day and enjoy guilt-free indulgence.
Disclosure: I received one or more of the products or| Recipe Name | Main Ingredients | Instructions | Source |
| Mini Turkey Meatballs | JENNIE-O® Lean Ground Turkey, onion, garlic, egg, breadcrumbs, ketchup, Italian parsley leaves, Parmesan cheese, black pepper, tomato marinara sauce | Combine ingredients; shape into meatballs. Cook meatballs. Add marinara sauce. | My Sparkling Life |
| Turkey Butter Sliders | Butter, onions, JENNIE-O® Lean Ground Turkey, American cheese, slider buns, lettuce leaves | Cook onions. Shape turkey into patties. Cook patties. Assemble sliders. | My Sparkling Life |
| Cheesy Turkey Frank Wraps | Pizza dough, mozzarella cheese, JENNIE-O® Turkey Franks, ketchup, barbeque sauce, mustard | Roll out dough and cut into triangles. Place cheese and turkey frank on each triangle. Roll up and bake. Mix sauces for dipping. | My Sparkling Life |
The Health Benefits of Jennie-O Products
Jennie-O is a brand synonymous with health and quality. Their products are made from high-quality, lean turkey, providing a healthier alternative to other meats. Using Jennie-O products in your game day recipes offers numerous health benefits. For instance, turkey is low in fat and high in protein, which is essential for muscle growth and repair. It’s also rich in essential vitamins and minerals, like Vitamin B6 and niacin, which are important for energy production and brain health.
Customizing Your Game Day Recipes
One of the great things about these recipes is their versatility. You can easily customize them to suit your taste or dietary needs. For example, if you prefer a spicier flavor, you could add some chopped jalapenos to the meatballs or sliders. If you’re on a gluten-free diet, you can substitute the breadcrumbs in the meatballs with a gluten-free alternative, or swap the slider buns for gluten-free ones. For the Cheesy Turkey Frank Wraps, you can experiment with different types of cheese, or add some veggies for an extra nutritional boost.
Pairing Suggestions for Your Game Day Recipes
These game day recipes can be served with a variety of sides to make a complete, balanced meal. For instance, the Mini Turkey Meatballs go well with a fresh salad or roasted vegetables. The Turkey Butter Sliders can be paired with sweet potato fries or a tangy coleslaw. For the Cheesy Turkey Frank Wraps, a side of baked beans or a colorful vegetable medley would complement the flavors nicely. Remember to also offer some healthy beverage options, like infused water or homemade iced tea, to keep your guests hydrated.
Storing and Reheating Leftovers
If you end up with leftovers after game day, no worries. These recipes can be easily stored and reheated. The meatballs and sliders can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you’re ready to eat them, simply reheat in the microwave or in a skillet over medium heat. The Cheesy Turkey Frank Wraps can be wrapped in foil and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat them in the oven at 350°F for about 10 minutes, or until heated through.
FAQs About Healthy Game Day Recipes Featuring Jennie-O
Are these recipes suitable for a crowd with different dietary needs?
Yes, these recipes can be easily modified to accommodate different dietary needs. For instance, you can substitute the breadcrumbs and buns with gluten-free alternatives for those with gluten intolerance. For lactose-intolerant guests, you can use lactose-free cheese or omit the cheese altogether.
Can these recipes be made ahead of time?
Yes, these recipes can be prepared ahead of time to make game day less stressful. The meatballs and sliders can be cooked and stored in the refrigerator a day before. On game day, simply reheat and serve. The dough for the Cheesy Turkey Frank Wraps can also be prepared in advance and refrigerated. On game day, just roll out the dough, wrap the franks, and bake.
By using Jennie-O products and incorporating these healthy game day recipes, you can enjoy the excitement of the game without compromising on your health or diet. Enjoy the delicious flavors, nutritional benefits, and the satisfaction of knowing you’ve made a healthier choice for your game day spread.
1. Can I substitute other ingredients in these recipes?
Yes, you can substitute ingredients based on your preference or dietary needs. However, altering the recipe may change the taste and nutritional content.
2. Are these recipes suitable for vegetarians?
No, these recipes are not suitable for vegetarians as they all contain turkey. However, you can modify the recipes by replacing the turkey with a vegetarian alternative.
3. Can I make these recipes ahead of game day?
Yes, you can prepare these recipes ahead of time. For the Mini Turkey Meatballs and the Turkey Butter Sliders, you can cook the meat and assemble when ready to serve. The Cheesy Turkey Frank Wraps can be baked ahead of time and warmed up before serving.
4. What side dishes would pair well with these recipes?
These recipes would pair well with a variety of side dishes such as fresh vegetables, a green salad, or baked sweet potato fries for a healthier option.
5. Are these recipes kid-friendly?
Yes, these recipes are kid-friendly. The Mini Turkey Meatballs, Turkey Butter Sliders, and Cheesy Turkey Frank Wraps are all fun, bite-sized snacks that kids will enjoy.
6. Can I use other Jennie-O products in these recipes?
Yes, you can use any Jennie-O turkey products in these recipes. The recipes are versatile and can be adapted to use other types of Jennie-O turkey such as turkey sausage or turkey bacon.
7. Are these recipes gluten-free?
The Mini Turkey Meatballs and Turkey Butter Sliders can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free breadcrumbs and buns, respectively. The Cheesy Turkey Frank Wraps would require a gluten-free pizza dough alternative. Always check the labels of all ingredients to ensure they are gluten-free.
8. What is the nutritional content of these recipes?
The nutritional content can vary depending on the specific ingredients used. For accurate nutritional information, it’s best to calculate based on the specific brands and quantities of ingredients you use.
9. Can these recipes be cooked on a grill?
The Turkey Butter Sliders could be cooked on a grill. However, the Mini Turkey Meatballs and the Cheesy Turkey Frank Wraps are best cooked as per the instructions in the recipes.
10. How many servings do these recipes provide?
The Mini Turkey Meatballs recipe makes approximately 24 meatballs, the Turkey Butter Sliders makes 12 sliders, and the Cheesy Turkey Frank Wraps makes 8 wraps. The serving size can vary depending on the individual’s dietary needs and appetite.